History of the AMO
The Ottawa Medico-Chirurgical Society was organized 20 March 1874 with an initial membership of 16 under the presidency of Dr. Hammet P. Hill. On 14 February 1890, letters of incorporation were secured with a charter membership of 30.
In 1893, after a disagreement between the medical staff and the Directors of the County of Carleton General Protestant Hospital over changes made in the personnel at the time of the annual appointments, the medical staff resigned in a body and withdrew from the hospital. They, together with the physicians attached to the Ottawa General Hospital, formed a new society to be called the Ottawa Medical Society, meeting in the new hospital, St Luke’s. Those who remained formed the Ottawa Clinical Society.
In 1903, joint action between the Ottawa Medical Society and the Ottawa Clinical Society resulted in the reorganization of the Ottawa Medico-Chirurgical Society. The Ottawa Medico-Chirurgical Society was incorporated on 19 October 1903, under the Benevolent, Provident and other Societies Legislation. The charter membership at the time of this incorporation was 68.
In 1946 the Officers of the Ottawa Medico-Chirurgical Society were authorized and instructed to apply for Letters Patent and to perform such other undertakings as may be necessary to change the name of the Ottawa Medico-Chirurgical Society to the Academy of Medicine Ottawa. The Constitution and Bylaws were revised, and the Society was re-incorporated under the Companies Act and issued Letters Patent on 30 December 1946. The number of charter fellows of the Academy of Medicine Ottawa was 179.
The primary purpose of the Academy of Medicine Ottawa has always been to further medical knowledge and improve comradeship.